Here’s my recipe for Cracker Chicken. Essentially it’s boneless chicken breast covered in cracker and bread crumbs, but the chicken comes out tender and moist, and more importantly delicious.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- About 1.5 pounds of boneless chicken breasts
- Ziploc bag (quart or gallon size)
- 3/4 sleeve of Ritz crackers. I like Ritz because of the butter flavor, but Club or Saltines will work as well.
- 1 cup of Italian flavor breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Montreal Chicken seasoning (If you don’t have Montreal Chicken seasoning you can use salt, pepper, garlic salt, Essence, or other seasonings that your family likes)
- Place the Ritz crackers in a Pyrex or other study bowl, and crush using your hands or other instrument. I use the top of a meat tenderizer. You want the cracker crumbs to be small enough where they will adhere to the egg wash, but they don’t have to be as fine as the commercial bread crumbs.
- After crushing the Ritz crackers, add the Italian bread crumbs and Montreal Chicken seasoning to the bowl.
- Incorporate the cracker, bread crumb, and seasoning mixture. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts into thirds or halves depending on the size of the breast.
- Place each chicken breast peice into the Ziploc bag and whack it a about 5-10 times to flatten it out a bit. It doesn’t need to super thin, just enough so the chicken will cook evenly. About 3/4 inch is fine.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Crack the egg into a bowl and scramble it.
- Set up a wet hand/dry hand assembly line with the chicken, egg wash, bread crumbs, and cookie sheet. I am right handed so I have my left hand handling the chicken breast and egg wash, and my right hand in the bread crumbs next to the cookie sheet.
- With the wet hand, wet each chicken breast piece in the egg wash, and place in the bread crumb bowl.
- With the dry hand, cover the chicken breast in bread crumbs and with your fist press the bread crumbs into the chicken breast. Turn the breast over, cover with more bread crumbs, and press again.
- With the dry hand, remove the chicken breast, and place it on the cookie sheet.
- Repeat the process for the other chicken breast pieces.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip the pieces, and bake for another 12 minutes.