Dec 03 2009

Visual Studio 2008 and Visio for Enterprise Architects

I have started working on a new project in .NET and the Problem Domain (PD) was modeled in Visio UML.  Fantastic.  Now I wanted to forward engineer the UML into C# classes to begin development, but wait, I can’t.  I only have Visio 2007 Professional, and the forward engineering features are only available in the Visio for Enterprise Architects version.  Okay, not a problem, I’ll go download it from MSDN.

After starting the installation, I got an error message, “You must first install one of the qualified Visual Studio editions”.  What the hell?  Visual Studio 2008 isn’t good enough?  I sure as hell don’t want to install another, older version Visual Studio just so I can install Visio for EA.

After poking around, I came across this registry trick.  Visio for Enterprise Architects is looking for the existence of the following key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Setup\VS\VSTD\

Within this key should be the String value “ProductDir”.  The text value for ProductDir can be anything other than a null value.

Once you add this key to your registry, the Visio for Enterprise Architects installer will work as hoped.

Permanent link to this article: http://ericsilva.org/2009/12/03/visual-studio-2008-and-visio-for-enterprise-architects/

8 comments

Skip to comment form

• Hasan on Monday, December 21, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Very helpful !

Thanks,
    – Hasan

• Scott on Thursday, December 24, 2009 at 11:46 am

Thanks, but Visio 2003 for Enterprise Architects was a no go in Windows 7 x64. However, I was able to add the ProductDir key to:

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Setup\VS\VSTD\

Visio 2003 for Enterprise Architects on Windows 7 automagically worked after this change.

-Scott Owen

• Eric Silva on Thursday, December 24, 2009 at 11:51 am
      Author

@Scott

I just ran into this problem the other night installing Visio EA on my own Windows 7 x64 laptop. I had not started hacking at the registry yet. Thanks for the tip.

-Eric

• Andrew on Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Note, the text value for the string must not be NUll. I tried with null and it did not work. I added the text “test” and Voila!

Thanks,

Andrew

• Moojjoo on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 11:55 pm

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks

• Rory on Monday, March 8, 2010 at 7:20 am

fyi if trying to install Visio for enterprise architects 2003 then the required registry key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\Setup\VS\Arch with a string value ‘ProductDir’.

• Pradeep on Friday, May 7, 2010 at 2:13 pm

More information can be found here:

• Lew on Tuesday, November 8, 2011 at 6:03 pm