Birdsboro Beverage Company had a beer tasting today. It was before noon, but I won’t get into that. After some mild twisting of my arm, I decided to give it a go.
They were offering some different varieties of Svytury, a Lithuanian beer company located in Klaipėda, Lithuania.
They were offering:
- Baltas – an unfiltered wheat beer.
- Baltijos – a dark red ale; similar to an Oktoberfest or Märzen.
- Ekstra Draught – a mild, slightly hoppy lager in the Dortmunder style.
- Due to my strong aversion to wheat beer, I only sampled the Baltijos and the Ekstra Draught. I liked both beers, but the Baltijos was far better. The Ekstra Draught was very pale yellow in color with little to no head. It was a mild lager with a plain finish. It reminded me a bit of Yuengling Light Lager.
- The Baltijos pours a deep amber with a thick creamy head. It has rich and sweet taste of caramel, which is felt in the mouth for a long period of time. It’s a good tasting beer, and at 5.2% alcohol you can drink a few without getting into trouble. The bottles are 500mL which is a proper pint. The bottles are specially designed and quite attractive; just a bit of foil around the neck for branding.