(2) lbs. lean hamburger
(1) large yellow onion; diced
1 cup red bell pepper; diced
(8) cloves garlic; minced
(2) 15 oz. can tomato sauce
(2) 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes; drained
(2) 15 oz. cans of black or chili beans; drained & rinsed
(2) 4 oz. cans diced green chili
4 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
(2) pkgs.(6.5 to 7.5 oz.) corn bread mix
2/3 (two-thirds) cup milk
4 tbsp. margarine
1. Using 18-20 briquettes bottom heat, brown meat in a 12 or 14-inch Dutch oven.
2. Add onion and red bell pepper and cook until tender.
3. Drain off excess liquid.
4. Add remaining ingredients. Bring contents of Dutch oven to a boil, and simmer 30 minutes.
5. Place 16 to 18 hot briquettes on top of the lid.
6. While this is simmering, mix corn bread per package instructions.
7. When corn bread mixture is ready, pour on top of the chili.
8. Cover and bake using 12 briquettes bottom and 16-18 briquettes top for 30 minutes or until cornbread turns golden brown color.
9. Check often and stick cornbread with a toothpick to check doneness.
10. For even browning make sure to turn the oven and lid 1/4 turn in opposite directions every 10 minutes.