Mom's Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Author: Barbara Silva
- 16-20 oz broccoli spears/florets
- 3 cups diced chicken (1.5-2 lbs chicken breasts)
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, diced or chopped
- 1-2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 can cream of “whatever” soup (chicken, mushroom, etc.)
- 1 cup mayonnaise or miracle whip (your choice)
- 1-2 tbsp curry powder (depending on taste)
- 1 cup (8 oz) shredded cheese (cheddar or colby jack)
- 1 cup bread cubes (3 slices of bread, approx.)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cook and drain broccoli; arrange in a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a non-stick deep skillet, heat 1-2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add diced chicken and cook until halfway done.
- Add celery, salt and pepper and cook until chicken is done.
- Place chicken, onion, and celery over broccoli in baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine soup, mayo, lemon juice and curry powder.
- Pour mixture, over chicken.
- Spread cheese evenly over chicken in baking dish.
- Arrange bread cubes on top and dot with melted butter or margarine.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 minutes and serve.
Source: Barbara Silva